Tuesday, February 23, 2010

TWD: Honey-Wheat Cookies

How exciting, this is my first post with Tuesdays with Dorie, following along their schedule.  This week, Michelle of Flour Child chose Honey-Wheat cookies on page 84.  Like I said in my previous post, joining TWD will definitely cause me to bake things I normally wouldn't pick out on my own.  For instance, these cookies...wheat germ, lemon zest, honey?  Sounds good, but not like a cookie I would bake for just any occasion---maybe a tea party?  I used to LOVE to eat wheat germ on yogurt when I was a kid, but can't say that I've ever bought it since I moved out on my own.  I even had a difficult time finding it at the store because it was tucked away in a random corner of an aisle. Not going to lie- wheat germ is kind of an expensive ingredient for just one batch of cookies.  I wish I had a grocery store with a bulk area near me where I could just scoop out the amount I needed, but no such luck in the area I live in and didn't plan enough ahead. So, I have enough wheat germ to last me a very. long. time.

Compared to the brownies I made from this cookbook, these cookies were so SIMPLE. Came together in no time and despite requiring "room temperature" butter, I thought ahead (for once) and put my butter out on the counter before going golfing, so when I came home it was nice and "room temp."  The dough is really sticky and soft, so Dorie has you wrap it in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before rolling it in balls and placing on a cookie sheet.
I have to say, while these cookies are tasty, I doubt I would ever make them again.  They don't exactly satisfy my "cookie cravings." At least they taste healthy. Definitely a treat to eat with tea, not too sweet.  Check out Michelle's page for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment