Friday, January 28, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday, Nelly!

Today is my crazy precious Weimaraner's 2nd birthday!  You may remember that last year I made Nelly a yummy, pink strawberry cake with whipped cream-cream cheese frosting.

This year, I steered away from "traditional" cake and went with an old favorite---Cherry Cheesecake.  Now this isn't your ordinary cheesecake.  For one, it's not baked. Two, there's no eggs.  Three, it has less fat.

It's more of a "whipped" cheesecake. And that's all you need to know.


This recipe is one my great-grandmother used to make for Sunday dinners, along with an assortment of other pies and cakes.  It's a lightened up version of a regular cheesecake, but I say just as good. 


The cake calls for cream cheese---I used light cream cheese---, sour cream---I actually used Fage Greek yogurt, because that's what I had and it's essentially the same thing---, and Cool Whip---there's no skimping on Cool Whip. Just go with it. 


I almost put fresh blackberries on top instead of the cherry pie filling, but I just loved the idea of the contrast colors with using my brand new bright yellow pie dish that we got for a wedding present (grin) and the bright red cherries.  So there ya go, sugary goodness on top. We'll save the fresh berries for summer.


Since we haven't cut into it yet, here's the disclosure: this cheesecake does not cut like a regular cheesecake---you pretty much have to scoop it. Don't expect clean cut slices, it won't happen. Unless you freeze it. Then maybe it will. 

Nelly can hardly wait for her birthday celebration tonight. Can you tell?
Love you, Nelly!

Cherry Cheesecake 

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
2 tsp vanilla 
1 graham cracker pie crust (I used a box of graham cracker crumbs and made my own crust)
1 cup cherry pie filling 
3 1/2 cup Cool Whip
1 can cherry pie filling (or any pie filling)

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in sour cream and vanilla.  
Fold in whipped topping, blending well.
Spoon into crust. Chill until set, at least 4 hours. Spread cherry pie filling on top.  Chill until ready to serve. 







2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Nelly! Save a piece of cheesecake for your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all are AWESOME! Happy Birthday Nelly! So happy she found such a wonderful family who makes special yummy cherry cheese cakes for her b-day!!! :o)) Love you guys! Give Nelly extra hugs and kisses from us! Becky and family plus Willow, Casper, Shakinah and Hagrid

    ReplyDelete