Monday, October 15, 2012

Ginger-Molasses Whoopie Pies

I find most of my inspiration for things I bake in cookbooks, blogs, and of course now, Pinterest.  But let's not forget the "old-fashioned"way of doing things...like visiting a local bakery.  I spent the last few weeks in sunny California and visited a bakery there called SusieCakes.  Pretty much the most darling storefront ever.  Lot's of robin's blue and pastel pinks.  In any case, besides having a variety of cupcake flavors and layer cakes, they also had huge cookies, pies, bars, and my sister's favorite item...their Whoopie Pie.

SusieCakes Whoopie Pie was two large double-chocolate cookies with vanilla buttercream slather between.  It was pretty delicious.  Now I've made Pumpkin Whoopie Pies before, but they had more of a cake-like texture, and I've made Peanut Butter Oatmeal Pies, which is along the same lines of SusieCakes, but for Fall, I decided to try a new flavor mixup must more my style.  Remember, I'm not a huge chocolate fan.  

May I present, Ginger-Molasses Whoopie Pies!


Two ginger-molasses cookies with a cinnamon cream cheese filling.


I made these cookies last year and claimed they were probably my favorite cookie ever...that statement still holds true.  I always forget how amazingly delicious these cookies are.


This cookie sandwich is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy with a little creamy.  Cookie love.

Here's the recipe for the Ginger-Molasses Cookies.  The cookie recipes makes two dozen cookies or 12 cookie sandwiches.  My recipe for the frosting below makes a LOT.  I had some leftover in my freezer so you can either half the recipe or make a full recipe and freeze it for later! Enjoy :)

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 package cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp vanilla
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth.  Add vanilla. Gradually add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until desired consistency.  Add cinnamon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment