Thursday, May 6, 2010

30 Day Challenge Success

At long last, my 30 day challenge is OVER.  Whew! I am so excited to start baking again and try some of the recipes I've been bookmarking for the past month.  For my first recipe back in the baking world, I chose something super simple and that would use up the rest of my dulce de leche from my oatmeal cookies.  A friend from work brought in these oatmeal, chocolate, caramel bars a long time ago and I printed off the recipe but had yet to make them. Instead of using caramel like the recipe said, I used my dulce de leche.  Pretty similar, right?

Not going to lie. These guys are pretty sweet and very rich.  Might have something to do with all the butter.  Maybe.

Absolutely delicious! At least they have oatmeal in them. They've got something healthy going for them. :)
I added a few things to the recipe myself. For instance, using dulce de leche instead of caramel.  I also added vanilla and cinnamon. Perfect additions, I think.

Oatmeal Caramel Bars
Adapted from recipetips.com


1 1/2 c butter melted
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 c oatmeal
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 ounces chocolate chips
1 c caramel ice cream topping (or dulce de leche)
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9 pan.
In a medium bowl, combine butter, flour, baking soda, oatmeal, brown sugar, and salt.  Stir to combine. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
Combine caramel topping (or dulce de leche) and tbsp flour. Sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Drizzle caramel topping over chocolate chips and crust. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over the top of the caramel.
Bake for 15 minutes. Let bars cool before cutting.

I have a couple of things planned for Mother's Day so be sure to check back.  Also be sure to check out my other blog Food for Fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment