Thursday, May 6, 2010

Banana Nuts

Once again, I am being a bad blogger.  It's taken me entirely too long to put up another recipe and post.  I honestly can't wait for my 30 day challenge to be over, because then I can go back to making sweets! May 4, let's go. Bread is too boring for me and while I could experiment with other things obviously, like scones or muffins, I just feel like those might go to waste.  I'm pretty set on my oatmeal for breakfast, so I don't know where I would fit in scones and muffins, etc. :)  In any case, I did make some banana bread this weekend with 4 overly ripe bananas I had sitting around along with some stolen borrowed nuts from my mother.

This recipe for banana bread was given to me by my mother. I'm not entirely sure what cookbook it came from...Fannie Farmer, maybe? But it's delicious. Unfortunately, I may have overcooked it in the oven, but it still tasted pretty good.  Note to self: bake less next time.

Banana Nut Bread

2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2/3 c mashed bananas (2 medium)
1/2 c chopped pecans
3 tbsp buttermilk or plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour before measuring. Resift with baking powder, soda, and salt and set aside. 
In another bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add in egg, bananas, and pecans.  Add flour mixture in thirds, alternating with buttermilk.  Mix only until blended.  Pour into well-greased 8x4 loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.

I took pictures of the finished product but not of a slice of it so you could see the texture and inside. Fail. Just trust me and make it. You will like it.



I also experimented with making my own Almond Butter.  I had to borrow a food processor from my mother in order to make this and it's kind of an old food processor, so maybe the almond butter would have turned out differently with a brand new high powered one, I don't know.

I got the recipe from Edible Perspective for the Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter. Her's looks fantastic and creamy. Mine was delicious but not as creamy and it took forrrrrrrever. The food processor also made a lot of noise so I was very self-conscious about running it in my apartment.

Next up, I want to try making my own coconut butter. But I may have to invest in a food processor of my own before doing that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment