Monday, February 6, 2012

Rosette Cake

Last weekend was this crazy girl's third birthday...


You may remember that for her first birthday, I made her a very pink strawberry cake with whipped cream-cream cheese frosting and for her second birthday a cherry cheesecake.  

While I should probably learn how to make gourmet dog treats to celebrate her birthday, I usually just end up making her something pretty and tasty.  She We like pretty things.  This year, I had my heart set on finally trying to make a rose cake.  


Nelly approved.


I actually took a shortcut on the cake and doctored up a boxed red velvet mix.  I only had one day off this weekend and quite frankly didn't feel like buying ten ingredients for a cake, sifting it all together, etc etc.  So, there you have it.


It's recommended to use a sturdy, crusting buttercream for rosettes, but I really wanted a red velvet with cream cheese frosting, so I just added a little extra powdered sugar to the icing to make it a little thicker.  


Turned out pretty well and very tasty.  


I used the Wilton 1M tip to make the roses.



 Happy 3rd Birthday, sweet Nelly! :)



(For the record, I let her lick the icing off of the displayed cut piece.  But no cake since it was chocolate.  She thoroughly enjoys cream cheese frosting...don't judge)



Red Velvet Cake
(adapted from MyBakingAddiction)

1 box red velvet cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup oil
1 package instant chocolate pudding 
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine all ingredients in bowl and blend until thoroughly combined.  Split between two 8" cake pans or 24 cupcakes.

Bake for 30-35 minutes for 8"cakes or 18-20 minutes for cupcakes.  Cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 package cream cheese, room temperature
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
6-8 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese and butter together in bowl until smooth.  Gradually add in one cup of powdered sugar at a time until desired sweetness and thickness.  Add vanilla extract and beat on medium speed 3-4 more minutes.
Frost and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Awww! Sweet Nelly! Give her kisses for me! Love, love, love all your pics of all sweet creations! So amazed how talented you are!

    ~ Becky

    ReplyDelete